Tuesday, December 21, 2004

1982 or was it 1983

Animation or Cartoon. Take your pick

Jon Anderson Posted by Hello


One day when I was just 22 or so, the unthinkable happened. I was walking home from work, turned the corner of Oak & Central in San Francisco and I saw Gary Parra loading the car with gear. I ran up to Gary and asked, "Man, What's going on man"? (We didn't say dude back then) Gary told me that the manager of the Palo Alto Keystone called him and that Jon Anderson's band 'Animation' had missed their flight and would be late to their show. We were going to open for him and play till he arrived. I said, "What? Dude, I mean man".

It was true. Our little band 'Cartoon' was going to open for Jon Anderson. We loaded the van in record time and raced to the club. By this time we were all very skilled at setting up the band. Although Gary wouldn't let anyone touch his drums. I could have set them up blindfolded but never got the chance. We were there, set up, and ready in no time. The doors opened. We held our breath.

As the people filed in, and were getting wind of the problem with Animation, tempers started to flare. The MC said, "Animation was on their way but for now we have this band I think you'll enjoy". "Boo, boo". I was sweating bullets at the light board. I hate to honk my own horn but I was a master light man. I knew the music inside and out. I never made a mistake. Never!

There had to be over a thousand people in the audience. They were a Yes crowd so there were no chairs flying. Just disappointment. We had a challenge ahead of us.

The first thing I was told was that I couldn't raise the lights up past 7. 7! Out of 10! Who did they think they were talking to.? I was the king. The guy put a piece of duct tape over the controls that made it impossible to raise the lights up higher than a 7. What he didn't know is that I knew how to manipulate duct tape in my favor. I knew this was a one time deal so... Fuck him!

After throwing up into a beer cup I raised the spot light onto the MC. He walked on stage again and said, "Ladies and Gentleman, Jon is on his way". The crowd cheered. It was a smart thing to say just before the boys went on stage. Got their attention and made them happy. "Ladies and gentleman, Cartoon"! "Boo, hiss". I darkened the stage and the boys got in position. I threw up in my plastic beer cup again. People were drinking and yelling to each other as Cartoon took the stage. I remember Herb strapping on his bassoon and Craig doing a final tune up on the violin. I wondered if anyone was taking note that this was no ordinary band. There was no bass player! No singer! Nope, I don't think many people were paying attention. So, I'd do my part to make them pay attention. I ripped off the duct tape, put it in my plastic beer cup and got ready. I even rolled the roll of tape into the crowd so the house light guy couldn't find it. Fuck with my lights will ya?

I can't remember what the first tune was but as soon as I heard the third drum stick count I was right on it. Bam! Full lights. Red as red can get. With a little yellow backstage. No one did red and yellow back then. I gave the house light guy a roach so he was no where to be seen. We looked like giants. The crowd hushed. The show was ours to take.

After the first song the audience cheered. They couldn't believe it. These guys were great. Who are they? Before they could think, Cartoon was into their second song. We had to rush the set cause who knows when Anderson would arrive to kick us off stage. The second song went off without a hitch. But, it was after 'Rocky & Bullwinkle' when all hell broke loose. People started to push towards the stage. Everyone stopped talking and started listening with those big fat 'Yes' ears. Before you knew it, we were killing. I mean really killing. Girls were on their boyfriends shoulders, fists were flying, heads banging. I threw up in my beer cup again. Fuckin buritto.

I don't know how many tunes they did when the dickhead light guy came over to give me shit about the duct tape. "What happened to the tape man?" I told him that in all the excitement I must have accidentally ripped it off. "Where's the roll?" "You took it with you" I said. So, he told me to keep it on 7 and he'd look for it. Dumb ass. He never found it. Soon it was time for a song called 'Shark'. Before Craig came into the band this tune was good. After Craig, this tune was great! I remember people holding onto their heads while Craig played his solo. That song was a hole in one. Made ya cry.

Before you knew it, it was over. Jon Anderson arrived and was ready to set up. The crowd wanted Cartoon to do an encore but management wouldn't let us. The audience freaked. They were stamping and yelling, "encore, encore." We killed. Just fucking killed. The boys played perfectly and my lights were killer. I learned to throw up and do lights at the same time. Wow.

Of course to make my point with the house light guy I jammed a toothpick into the light boards master slider at #7. Then 'accidentally' spilled my plastic beer cup on the board as well. Animation would not be able to shine as bright. I blamed it on some drunk chick and ran into the dressing room. The boys were already in there and they were all smiles. Except for Mark Innocenti. He was pissed that they wouldn't let them do an encore. At that point who the fuck cared. We won. Bigtime.

After Animation was finished, Jon Anderson came to our dressing room to thank us for filling in. I was stunned. I loved Yes. I'd been a fan for years. There he was, with his red Nike sneakers and his white pants. (In a very high pitch voice) "Thanks fellas, great job. We really appreciate it". Then he was gone. I almost fell over. Jon Anderson thanked us. What a guy. I love that guy!

Now I've been in dozens of films. As well as sit-coms. I did Seinfeld 8 times. I've met everyone from Walter Matthau to Mel Gibson. But that day in 1982 was one of the greatest moments of my life. We were young and did a good job and Jon Anderson said so.

Of course through the years no one ever believed me. They believe I talked to Mel Gibson about egg salad sandwiches for 15 minutes but not my Jon Anderson story. Christ I was lying about Mel. The only guys that believe me are the boys that made it possible. Scott, Gary, Mark, Craig and Herb. It did happen didn't it? Thanks guys!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! Big time yes fan here.

b.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home